I began the project by adapting elements of the design sprint to learn how we might gain users’ trust, and keep it. The workshop aligned the team on where to focus their efforts and I left with a map of several user journeys and a ton of notes.
Dragoni came to me with a functional prototype and a goal to launch a beta in time for the LCS and LEC leagues to start up again. This meant that time was the primary constraint of this project. First, we would rebrand Dragoni to a simpler more memorable logo to convey reliability. Then we would leverage match data and educational guides within the platform to better inform users. The hypothesis was that if Dragoni could empower its users to make their own informed decisions, more users would feel comfortable using the web app to place bets.
Other hypotheses revolved around gamification and community. Betting is already littered with cheap gamification elements and we didn’t want to prioritise features that could be seen as tricking or luring users into placing a bet. Community functionality was one of the most popular directions, but it also came with a lot more baggage than the team was ready for. A successful community would require a critical mass of users, moderation, management and new functionality.
At this point, I had learnt a lot about what the team wanted to represent Dragoni.
They didn't like abstract symbols, instead they were confident in wanting a Dragon symbol. Particularly one with big, clear wings to make it easier to identify as a dragon at a glance.
They liked my use of bold symetrical shapes to convey a more reliable brand.
We liked the less common chapes used to contain the symbols.
I decided to take some of the more successful marks back to pencil and paper to combine what I had learnt...
Dragoni are still testing their product. As requested, I've limited the page designs until a public beta is launched.
I plan to share more screens as soon as the new Dragoni site is live.
I’m very happy with the work done on the visual identity. I believe the logo now appropriately represents the company as a more secure and responsible entity.
At this time, I’m happy with the web design, though I’m sure I’ll notice more room for improvement as time goes on. As with all new products without data and UX studies, a lot of the decisions we make are based on our logical assumptions and personal experience. I believe that making improvements to this project would require some quantitative data to inform our decisions.